I know I did one of these posts less than a week ago, and you are probably thinking...how much can really happen in a week? Or more importantly, do I even care?
Yes, yes you do!
One reason you care is because you love me :) The next reason you care is because you may just be lucky enough to be a recipient of the wonderful bounty this garden shall behold.
As of today, May 30th [uh, where did May go by the way?!], my side bed and raised garden beds have been growing beautifully for a little over five weeks. At first we had rain, followed by more rain, followed by torrential down pours. And the garden loved it! Then, and continuing into this week, we were met with hot weather. I mean hot! This week's forecast is mostly in the lower 90's/high 80's. Dude, it's May--what happened to spring?!
I am ashamed to admit that the heat, my migraines, and my general up & down attitude kept me from watering the garden as often as I should have. It also sucks when you don't have a direct water line outdoors and are left lugging extremely heavy 2-gallon water cans to the front, trying to dodge small children who don't understand the word 'faster', and dripping water through the entire house. Needless to say some of my plants suffered, mostly those in containers as they have no means of tapping the ground for hidden water.
The red, white, and blue plants in my little summer containers look more like the pink, the dead, and the WTF happened to me? Thankfully the lavender was fine [probably thanks to a nice layer of mulch] and continues to live another day smelling wonderful. The patriotic pansies were fine! Odd since they are normally not super heat tolerant. Again, I blame the mulch. My container tomatoes and herbs were also fine...and were also mulched long ago. My pumpkin plant in the container is suffering, no doubt, as there is a lot of root competition from the other plants. I am hoping everything will be OK in there. Oh...and my hanging basket looks like a graveyard for dying flowers....whoops, my bad!
And lastly, the beds....
First photos of the vegetable and herb beds: April 22, 2011
As you can see, they are very bare. The only grown plants were ones purchased as such. Everything else began as seeds in the shelter of the house.
Several weeks later, you can see the difference...
Left bed![]() |
| May 14 |
![]() |
| May 20 |
![]() |
| The bountiful left bed 5+ weeks later! 5/30 |
| Which started from this, first planted April 22 |
![]() |
| May 14 |
![]() | |
| May 20 |
![]() | ||
| The amazing right bed 5+ weeks later! |
| Which started from this, first planted April 22 |
The planter
I wish I had photos of this when I first began it, because every single thing in this container was started from 'scratch' aka seeds or bulbs.
| May14 |
![]() | |
| May 20 |
One love,
Sara :)







No comments:
Post a Comment