Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A bad day

Monday, May 2
Being home for about two months with migraines, I have had my fare share of bad days.  Two trips to the ER, a hospital stay, missing events, intense pain.  You know...bad days.  This week, I feel as if I have been having more bad days than normal.  Or, really, I feel as if my bad days are getting worse.  How do I know?  Besides the three consecutive days with migraine pain at 7+ [on a scale from 1 to 10; that's how I live my life, folks-rating each day or moment by a number], I also am in no rush to check on my garden.

What?!

Tuesday, May 3
Yesterday, I did not venture outside at all; I remained in the shelter of the darker, cooler indoors.  I really was having a bad day.

Today I came down and felt better.  I still had a headache, but it was not a horrible migraine.  I was excited!  I get maybe two or three of these days a month.  I immediately began making a 'To Do' list in my mind [and on my marker board because I forget everything] of the things I wanted to accomplish today.  First thing on my mind: my garden <3

I, of course, fed the kids and myself before I did anything.  And I may have actually cleaned up after myself as well.  Please understand, being a slob is not my normal behavior; it's been helped along by the 'feeling horrible every day' thing I've got going on.  I was so excited to get outside, and even a little nervous knowing my babies went without a watering yesterday.  I had confidence in myself as a gardener, especially with all of my new knowledge, and felt that amongst the soil, water, and love, my garden would thrive. 

After our morning routine, we went out to the garden.  My, oh my!  You know when you have not seen a kid for a long time, and the next time you see them, they are huge!  I swear my brother-in-law is taller every time I see him.  Today, when I stepped outside, my plants looked like they had doubled in size.  It was so exciting.  I took their blanket off and began to check everyone out.  Again, and as suspected, all was well in the bed.  I began dead heading the snapdragons, thinning the seedlings, and checking the perennials.  John brought me some water and I gave all the thirsty plants a drink before the sun reached the bed.  I sat down and marveled at my garden.  I know they are still babies, but they are looking better every day.  I even took a moment to cut some flowers from the garden to bring inside.
The flowers from my garden :)
The yellow flowers are tickweed, which Olivia thought was tickleweed, and seemed to think that the flowers tickled her.  They are a low cover perennial.

The taller, purple flower is salvia.  It smells so good, sort of a woodsy mint scent.  The stalk is comprised of several small flowers, and is very hearty.

The pink is snapdragon, sometimes called antirrhinum.  I have heard of this flower before, but have never had it in my garden.  I read about them in my "Family Kitchen Garden" book, and was delighted at their description:
"The flowers are also fun for children, who can squeeze open the gragon;s mouth and then let it snap shut on a finger, preferably accompanying the action with a convincing sound effect.  The sight of a bumblebee half-swallowed by a snapdragon flower is also memorable."
Did I mention the book is a British book??  Love it! 

No doubt today was a better day :)

Definitions
Hearty: used to define a plant that can withstand the elements.  The plant or species may be able to withstand periods of drought, be tolerant to colder temperature, or even be pest-resistant.  This term can be applied to both annuals and perennials.

One love,
Sara :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment