Friday, June 3, 2011

The joy my garden brings me

Today I am thankful for a few things in particular.  You know, besides being alive and having a roof over my head, food in my belly, yadda yadda. 



One thing I am thankful for is a less painful day.  Not pain-free, but less painful.  Hey, I'll take what I can get #thatswhatshesaid.  

I am also thankful for cooler weather!  I know it's June and all, but man was it hot!  We did go outside on most days, despite the intense sun and heat.  Thankfully our deck is covered [not cooled, mind you-I was dripping sweat in the morning heat], and in the morning and evening the patio is cooled from the shade of the surrounding homes and trees.

And of course, I am thankful for my garden!  Tell me you didn't see that one coming?!  I won't lie; I love my garden more on cooler days.  I'm fat-I hate the heat.  What, I said it?!  Don't tell me that because I'm Egyptian I should be heat tolerant; I wish that was true.  I digress...

My garden is growing nicely.  I knew that after a nice watering yesterday evening and some cool, bright weather today that there would be some notable progress from the day before.  I went out this evening in an effort to wear the kids out via fresh air and playing in the yard [and the see the garden, of course :)].  As predicted, there was marked growth, mainly from the pumpkin plants [crazy buggers].  

Summary
The beans are beginning to grow; they are literally the size of my thumb nail--so cute!  The pumpkins have diverted more energy towards the flowers rather thank length [a wonderful gardener's trick].  Each plants has an average of 7-10 flower bulbs on them.  For each flower, there will be a small pumpkin perfect for baked desserts and roasted seeds.  Yum.  The Ho-Chi-Min hot pepper plant is beginning to flower in spite of its small size.  That's OK--don't need too many of those!   The zinnias have been growing nice and tall, and have been snacked on by some little wanker of a bug.  Yet they power through.  The snapdragons are taking advantage of the shade from the huge pumpkin leaves and are blooming like crazy.  The sunflower in the corner is at least two-and-a-half feet tall.  And that's just the right bed.  Or left.  I never remember what I call them.  

In the other bed all seems well.  I trimmed the potato plants yesterday to help with nutrient direction and aeration.  The radishes, beets, and carrots [my other underground veggies] looked nice.  With the exception of the herbs and aforementioned veg, the majority of these crops will be in the bed for months.  However, I can plant in the 'space between' [yea DMB] and can take advantage of catch crops, plants that grow quickly and take up little space.  The winner in this category is by far the lettuce family, especially baby/microgreens.  It's the reason the carrots, radishes, and beets are growing with them--I will have space after that harvest for catch crops as well as autumn/winter vegetables.  


My favorite photos from today

Birds accidentally dispersed herb seed into flower bed.

Thankful for a wonderful camera to catch the beauty of these snapdragons.


I like this bed because there is so much going on; over 10 different vegetables/herbs growing in here.

The large leaves soak up the evening sun; pumpkins love a good climb.

The view from below.

I love the color the beet leaves bring to this very green garden.


I've wanted lavender for at least two years now.  I finally treated myself and I am so glad I did.


Can you find the tiny bean pods?


One love,
Sara :)

No comments:

Post a Comment